G.W. Carver
Elementary School

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the school hours?

School begins at 8:40 a.m., and we dismiss everyone at 3:40 p.m. Every Monday we will have early release at 2:10 p.m.

Back to Top

What should I do if my student is absent?

When at all possible, please notify us when your child is absent. A phone call is just fine. Absent students need to return with a note explaining the reason for being gone. An absence note is a must! Otherwise, we will record your student's absence as "unexcused."

Back to Top

If I need to take my child out of school early, what steps should I follow?

Check in with the front office to let us know you want to take your student out of school early. Once you arrive in our office, we will notify the classroom teacher to send your child to the office. We will not dismiss students to walk alone to either go home or to appointments. You must be present to check out your child.

Back to Top

What meals does the cafeteria serve and what does it cost?

Elementary Non-Pricing Schools: Carver, McGraw, OCJ, Roosevelt, and Pecan Grove
We know that breakfast is the most important part of the day. That is why at Yuma School District One, we offer breakfast at no cost. We serve breakfast from 8:10 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. Please join us. If a parent or child would like to join a student and purchase breakfast, the cost is $2.00. We also offer lunch to all students at no cost. If a parent or guest would like to join their student for lunch, the cost is $3.00. We look forward to serving you.

If students bring a sack lunch from home, they may purchase a juice or milk for 25 cents to go with their meal.

Back to Top

What is George Washington Carver Elementary's dress code?

We ask that students come to school dressed ready to learn. Please wear clean and modest clothing. Wear your pants or shorts at the waist line. Shirts should be long enough that the student can tuck it in if necessary. We allow caps on campus but not in the classroom, and students may wear knitted caps only when the weather is cold enough.

Please do no wear the following:

  • baggy or sagging pants/shorts
  • revealing clothing
  • see-through blouses
  • halter tops or tube tops
  • spaghetti straps
  • bandanas
  • hairnets
  • clothing that portrays alcohol, drugs, sex, or vulgar language
Back to Top

What personal items should my child not take to school?

Please do not bring the following items to school: radios, tape recorders, electronics of any kind, expensive jewelry, large sums of money, or toys.

Back to Top

What if my student loses a belonging?

We try our best to return lost items to students, but we need your help. Whenever possible, please label your children's belongings. Be sure to label coats, sweaters, lunch pails, and anything else you would want returned to you if they were to get lost.

Back to Top

Can my child ride a bike to school?

Yes, we allow students in third through sixth grades to ride bikes to school. City law requires your student to wear a helmet for safety reasons. We also have bike racks available for parking the bikes, and we require students to lock their bikes. George Washington Carver Elementary is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged bikes.

Back to Top

Can my child ride rollerblades, skateboards, or scooters to school?

Yes, all students in any grade may ride to school using rollerblades, skateboards, or scooters. However, we do not allow students to ride any of these items on school grounds. Students must carry skateboards or scooters and take rollerblades off before entering the school building.

Back to Top

Is busing available for my child?

Yes. Yuma Elementary School District does offer bus transportation to students who live north of 1st Street and south of 8th street. Please remind your child that riding the bus is a privilege. Students who misbehave on the bus will lose their bus riding privileges. Be sure to know your bus route if you plan to ride.

Back to Top

My child needs to take medication daily. How will you make sure he/she will receive it?

Parent must label all medications properly, and we will keep them in the school health office. Only our school nurse will hand out the medicine to a student. Prescription medicines must be prescribed by a doctor and have documentation telling how much and how often the medicine must be taken. Please be sure to contact the health office ahead of time if you want your child taking over-the-counter medicines, too.

Back to Top

When do grades come out?

We divide the school year into four grading periods and send out grades on the Thursday following the end of each period.

Back to Top

Does my student have access to the Internet at school?

Yes. We equip all classrooms with Internet access and we take precautions to make sure our students use it appropriately. Each parent and student must sign a permission slip which tells us you are willing to follow the guidelines of good conduct when using the Internet in the classroom.

Back to Top